- Keeping Pace with Karthik Muralidharan, the 'Shinkansen' Economist - Business Standard Profile, April 2 2021
- Tata Institute for Genetics and Society Advances with Building Naming, Inaugural Chair Holders - UCSD News Center, September 13 2017
- Taking on inequity at the crossroads of ‘rigor, relevance and impact’ - Division of Social Sciences, Fall 2016
- Making sense of a new India - IndiaToday, December 11, 2014
- Understanding Indian Healthcare - The Seen and the Unseen with Amit Varma, Episode 225, May 16, 2021
- Fixing Indian Education - The Seen and the Unseen with Amit Varma, Episode 185, August 9, 2020
- The Road to Recovery: Rebuilding Governance and Finance in Indian States - India Leaders for Social Sector June 5, 2020
- Educational Initiatives Dialogues with Karthik Muralidharan - Educational Initiatives June 25, 2019
- Why Kids are Dropping out of School and What Works in Education - Podcast with Karthik Muralidharan - Center for Global Development August 18, 2015
- Focus on Learning Outcomes and Functional Literacy - Center for Global Development August 17, 2015
- Charting a Course for the Indian Economy: Karthik Muralidharan speaks with Arvind Subramanian - Ideas For India August 04, 2015. Transcript
- A Conversation on Bihar: Karthik Muralidharan speaks with Anjani Kumar Singh - Ideas For India November 02, 2014. Transcript
- Karthik Muralidharan in Conversation with Shekhar Shah - NCAER October 25, 2013
- New Delhi: Private vs. Government: New Evidence on School Performance from Andhra Pradesh, India - NCAER October 16, 2013
- Moving Up a Gear: Update - IGC August 22, 2013
- Moving Up a Gear: Can a bike help a girl's education in northern India? - IGC March 16, 2012
- In Conversation with Development Economist Karthik Muralidharan - CEGA December 12, 2010
Blogs and Op-EdsLectures
"Strengthen NREGS to support the rural economy" Hindustan Times (March 6, 2019)
(with Paul Niehaus and Sandip Sukhtankar)
"Use mobiles to improve governance" Hindustan Times (December 5, 2018)
(with Paul Niehaus, Sandip Sukhtankar, and Jeff Weaver)
"Go for an "inclusive growth dividend" in India" Hindustan Times (November 6, 2018)
(with Paul Niehaus, and Sandip Sukhtankar)
"We need a choice-based approach in the Public Distribution System" Hindustan Times (October 3, 2018)
(with Paul Niehaus, and Sandip Sukhtankar)
"Balancing the cost and benefits of Aadhaar" The Mint (March 2018)
(with Paul Niehaus, and Sandip Sukhtankar)
"Building state capacity for better programme implementation: Lessons from the Andhra Pradesh Smartcard Program" Ideas for India (December 3, 2014)
(with Paul Niehaus, and Sandip Sukhtankar)
- [email protected]: Disrupting Education? Experimental Evidence on Technology-Aided Instruction in India - UCSD Design, Lab June 19, 2017.
- Using Technology for Better Governance - CEGA, June 09, 2017.
- Basic Income in India: Karthik Muralidharan speaks on Last Mile Challenges - National Conference on Basic Income, March 29, 2017
- IGC Lecture: Disrupting Education? Experimental Evidence on Technology-Aided Instruction in India - IGC, March 15, 2017
- IGC Building State Capacity: Evidence from Biometric Smartcards in India - IGC, October 31, 2014
- NCAER Distinguished Lecture Series: Building State Capacity: Evidence from Biometric Smartcards in India - NCAER, May 29, 2014.
- JPAL: Evaluating at Scale: The Andhra Pradesh Smartcard Project - JPAL, January 27, 2014.
- NCAER Lecture: The Aggregate Effect of School Choice: Evidence from a Two-Stage Experiment in India - NCAER, January 13, 2014.
- JPAL: Teacher Performance Measurement and Management / Evidence-Based Programming in Early Grade Reading - JPAL, November 27, 2013.
- IGC Bihar Growth Conference: Cycling to School: Increasing Secondary School Enrollment for Girls in India - IGC, July 30, 2013.
- Global Asia Institute: Achieving Universal Quality Primary Education in India - Gloabl Asia Institute, December 07, 2010.
- Education Reform Lecture Series: Teacher Performance Pay: Experimental Evidence from India - Univ. of Arkansas, October 08, 2010.
Media By Paper
"Identity Verification Standards in Welfare Programs: Experimental Evidence from India"
- Blog: Balancing corruption and exclusion: Incorporating India's Aadhaar into public food distribution - VoxDev, Apr 17, 2020
- Blog: Aadhaar, no standout performer in welfare delivery - The Hindu, Feb 28, 2020
- Interview: Karthik Muralidharan: 'To an extent, both supporters and critics of Aadhaar for service delivery are correct' - The Indian Express, Feb 24, 2020
- Report: Nearly 88% of ration cards cancelled in Jharkhand belonged to genuine households - The Telegraph, Feb 21, 2020
- Blog: Aadhaar use in PDS 'not a free lunch,' finds a study - The Indian Express, Feb 21, 2020
- Blog: New study backs reports that Aadhaar-PDS link in Jharkhand led to exclusions - The Wire, Feb 21, 2020
- Op-Ed: Evaluating the Aadhaar-PDS link - Hindustan Times, Feb 16, 2020
- Blog: How Aadhaar in schemes can be problematic - Live Mint, Feb 11, 2020
"Factorial Designs, Model selection, and (incorrect) Inference in Randomized Experiments"
- Blog: Be careful with inference from 2x2 experiments and other cross-cutting designs - World Bank Blogs, July 29, 2019
"Improving Last-Mile Service Delivery Using Phone-Based Monitoring"
- Blog: Use mobiles to improve governance - Hindustan Times, December 5, 2018
"General Equilibrium Effects of (Improving) Public Employment Programs: Experimental Evidence from India"
- News: Digital Revolutions in Public Finance: Visionaries, Plumbers & Architects - International Monetary Fund, Septebmer 08, 2017
- News: What America would look like if it guaranteed everyone a job - Vox, September 06, 2017
"Reforming the Indian School Education System"
- Book Review: A dozen problems with the economy and about as many solutions - Business Standard, May 25, 2019
- Blog: Sound advice from Indian Economists - The Economic Times, December 17, 2018
"An Inclusive Growth Dividend: Reframing the Role of Income Transfers in India’s Anti-Poverty Strategy"
- News: Can UBI reignite the economy? - Live Mint, January 29, 2020
- Blog: An inclusive strategy for India to revive its economic growth - Live Mint, October 17, 2019
- News: Inclusive growth dividend - an alternative income transfer - Live Mint, July 18, 2019
- Blog: An unimpressive budget after the massive electoral mandate - Live Mint, July 1, 2019
"Direct Benefits Transfer in Food: Results from One Year of Process Monitoring in Union Territories"
- News: Evaluating direct cash transfers Part-I: Problems are for real but most beneficiaries prefer new system to old PDS - Firstpost, September 07, 2017
- News: Evaluating direct cash transfers Part-II: Correct the mistakes and go ahead, junking PDS reforms wholesale is no solution - Firstpost, September 07, 2017
"Disrupting Education? Experimental Evidence on Technology-Aided Instruction in India"
- Oped: How to get India's macroeconomic, microeconomic policies right - Financial Express, October 30, 2017
- Oped: India’s leaders have failed its people, but in education, the people may have a chance to grow beyond what leaders have allowed - Financial Express, April 07, 2017
- Blog: Online Education and Personalized Learning - Marginal Revolution, February 17, 2017
- Video: Education Karthik Muralidharan - IGC, March 15, 2017
- News: Technology is transforming what happens when a child goes to school - The Economist, July 22, 2017
- News: India’s learning deficit: Solution on the horizon? Check it out - Financial Express, March 31, 2017
- News: Technology could transform learning in India’s govt schools if used correctly - Hindustan Times, March 28, 2017
- Lecture: Disrupting Education? Experimental Evidence on Technology-Aided Instruction in India - UCSD Design Lab, June 19, 2017
- Video: Karthik Muralidharan, Sandip Sukhtankar and Lakshmi Iyer IGC ISI Development Policy - IGC, October 31, 2014
"Cycling to School: Increasing Secondary School Enrollment for Girls in India"
- Video: Moving Up A Gear - International Growth Centre, August 22, 2013
- Video: Can a free bike help a girl's education in northern India? - International Growth Centre, March 16, 2012
- News: Wheels of Change: Bicycles improve girls’ enrollment in Bihar - im4change, 2013
- News: London School of Economics hails Bihar's bicycle policy - The Times of India, September 24, 2013
- Blog: Triple Differencing Bikes in India - Marginal Revolution, May 23, 2015
- Blog: Biking to more education in India - The World Bank, September 05, 2013
- Lecture: IGC Bihar Growth Conference: Cycling to School: Increasing Secondary School Enrollment for Girls in India - IGC, July 30, 2013.
"The Fiscal Cost of Weak Governance: Evidence from Teacher Absence in India"
- News: India’s education spending needs a course on accountability - Live Mint, January 02 2017
- News: Modi Faces ‘Disappointed’ Voters in India’s Most Populous State - The New York Times, February 14 2017
- News: Teachers who don’t show up to work cost India $1.5 billion a year - Quartz Media, August 14 2014
- Blog: Re 1 Spent on Rural School Inspectors could save India Rs 10 Spent on Absent Teachers Every year - IndiaSpend, November 02, 2017
- Blog: Using evidence for better policy: The case of primary education in India - Ideas for India, March 18 2013 - Ideas for India, March 18 2013
"Quality and Accountability in Healthcare Delivery: Audit-Study Evidence from Primary Care in India"
- Blog: The conundrum of informal health care in India - Brookings, December 2016
- News: The growing burden of healthcare costs - LiveMint, December 02, 2015
"Building State Capacity: Evidence from Biometric Smartcards in India"
- Op-Ed: Smartcards for smarter payments - VoxDev, July 07 2017
- News: The Economics of Aadhaar - The Aadhaar project is a textbook example of how not to design and execute a public policy initiative in India - LiveMint, July 31 2017
- News: The economics of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme - LiveMint, February 07 2016
- News: JAM can boost social schemes in India: Karthik Muralidharan - Business Standard, November 06 2015
- News: Smart cards cut fund leakage in MGNREGA by 12% - Business Standard, April 03, 2014
- News: How is the biomarker ID aid plan going in India? - Marginal Revolution, March 26 2014
- Video: NCAER Distinguished Lecture Series, New Delhi - BWBusinessworld, May 29 2014
- Video: Evaluating at Scale: The Andhra Pradesh (AP) Smartcard Project - J-PAL, January 27 2014
- Blog: Lessons from Andhra Pradesh: Building state capacities for welfare - LiveMint, December 03, 2014
- Blog: India’s biometric smartcards, a good sentence about them - Marginal Revolution, October 17 2014
- Lecture: IGC Building State Capacity: Evidence from Biometric Smartcards in India - IGC, October 31, 2014
- Lecture: Building State Capacity: Evidence from Biometric Smartcards in India - NCAER, May 29, 2014.
"Improving School Education Outcomes in Developing Countries: Evidence, Knowledge Gaps, and Policy Implications"
- Blog: That zero effect may not mean what you think it means, and other lessons from recent educational research - The World Bank, January 21 2016
"The Aggregate Effect of School Choice: Evidence from a Two-Stage Experiment in India"
- Video: Lecture on Private vs Government Education in India - NCAER New Delhi, January 13 2014
- Video: Private vs. Government: New Evidence on School Performance from Andhra Pradesh, India - NCAER New Delhi, October 16 2013
- Blog: RTE’s Heart Is In The Right Place – But Not Its Head - Swarajya, August 09 2017
- Blog: Low Cost Private Schools in the Developing World - Marginal Revolution, August 03 2015
- Blog: Low-cost private schooling in the developing world context: new evidence - Centre for Education Economics, May 26 2015
- Blog: Private Schooling in India: Results from a Randomized Trial - Marginal Revolution, Feburary 05 2014
- Blog: 7 Questions About Low-Cost Private Schools in India That We Can Finally Answer - Center for Global Development, October 08 2013
- Lecture: The Aggregate Effect of School Choice: Evidence from a Two-Stage Experiment in India - NCAER, January 13, 2014.
"Priorities for Primary Education Policy in India's 12th Five Year Plan"
- Blog: How Rajasthan is Fixing the RTE - SWARAJYA, September 10 2015
- Blog: Using evidence for better policy: case of primary education in India - LiveMint, March 20 2013
"Teacher Performance Pay: Experimental Evidence from India"
- Video: Teacher Performance Pay - Experimental Evidence from India - University of Arkansas, April 03 2014
- Blog: Shout it from the Rooftops! Performance Pay for Teachers in India - Marginal Revolution, March 22 2013
- Blog: The Uncertain Impact of Merit Pay for Teachers - The The New York Times Blog, June 08 2010
- Blog: Reaching the poorest - The Economist, January 21 2010
- Blog: Teacher Performance Pay: Experimental Evidence from iNDIA - Marginal Revolution, September 30 2009
"Public and Private Schools in Rural India"
- Blog: The price of studying at private schools - India Today, July 03 2017
- Blog: Impact of the RTE Shutdown of Schools - Forbes, November 07 2013
- Blog: Many of India's Poor Turn to Private Schools - The New York Times, December 30, 2011
- Blog: There Are No Silver Bullets: The Way We Can Achieve 169 Targets - Huffington Post, September 01 2015
- Blog: Why Kids Are Dropping Out of School and What Works in Education – Podcast with Karthik Muralidharan - CEGA, August 18 2015
- Blog: In India, Revealing the Children Left Behind - The New York Times, October 23 2014