| In 1848 Congress authorized
construction of a series of eight lights along the Cape Fear River between
Oak Island and Wilmington. Two were built at Price's Creek. They were completed
When the Confederate forces lost control of the Cape Fear River, they damaged or destroyed all the river lights to hamper the Union Forces as they attempted to navigate the river. The masonry of the smaller lighthouse at Price's Creek is all that is left of the eight lights. It is a brick structure standing about 20 feet tall. It sits on private property and is not accessible to the public.